- J.Kljun, I. Turel, β-Diketones as Scaffolds for Anticancer Drug Design – From Organic Building Blocks to Natural Products and Metallodrug Components, Eur. J. Inorg. Chem., 2017, 12, 1655–1666 doi: 10.1002/ejic.201601314
- A. Mitrović, J. Kljun, I.Sosič, S. Gobec, I. Turel and J. Kos, Clioquinol–ruthenium complex impairs tumour cell invasion by inhibiting cathepsin B activity, Dalton Trans., 2016, 45, 16913-16921 doi: 10.1039/C6DT02369J
- J. Kljun, M. Anko, K. Traven, M. Sinreih, R. Pavlič. Š. Peršič, Ž. Ude, E. E. Codina, J. Stojan, T. Lanišnik Rižner, I. Turel, Pyrithione-based ruthenium complexes as inhibitors of aldo–keto reductase 1C enzymes and anticancer agents, Dalton Trans., 2016, 45, 11791-11800 doi: 10.1039/C6DT00668J
- S. Seršen, P. Šket, J. Plavec, I. Turel, Interactions of two cytotoxic organoruthenium(II) complexes with G-quadruplex, J. Inorg. Biochem., 2016, 170, 70-77 doi: 10.1016/j.jinorgbio.2015.11.012
- K. Traven, N. Eleftheriadis, S. Seršen, J. Kljun, J. Bezenšek, B. Stanovnik, I. Turel, F. J. Dekker, Ruthenium complexes as inhibitors of 15-lipoxygenase-1, Polyhedron, 2016, 101, 306-313, link
- S. Seršen, J. Kljun, K. Kryeziu, R. Panchuk, B. Alte, W. Körner, P. Heffeter, W. Berger, I. Turel, Structure-Related Mode-of-Action Differences of Anticancer Organoruthenium Complexes with β-Diketonates. J. Med. Chem., 2015, 58, 3984–3996, doi: 10.1021/acs.jmedchem.5b00288
- K. Traven, M. Sinreih, J. Stojan, S. Seršen, J. Kljun, J. Bezenšek, B. Stanovnik, I. Turel, T. Lanišnik Rižner, Ruthenium complexes as inhibitors of the aldo-keto reductase 1C enzymes AKR1C1-AKR1C3, Chem.-Biol. Inter., 2015, 234, 349–35, doi: 10.1016/j.cbi.2014.11.005
- M. Gobec, J. Kljun, I. Sosič, I. Mlinarič-Raščan, M. Uršič, S. Gobec, I. Turel, Structural characterization and biological evaluation of a clioquinol-ruthenium complex with copper-independent antileukaemic activity. Dalton trans. 2014, 43, 9045-9051, link
- A. Martinčič, R. Milačič, J. Vidmar, I. Turel, B. K. Keppler, J. Ščančar, New method for the speciation of Ru-based chemotherapeutics in human serum by conjoint liquid chromatography on affinity and anion-exchange monolithic disks. J. Chromatogr. A, 2014, 1371, 168-176, link
- R. Hudej, D. Miklavčič, M. Čemažar, V. Todorović, G. Serša, A. Bergamo, G. Sava, A. Martinčič, J. Ščančar, B. K. Keppler, I. Turel. Modulation of activity of known cytotoxic ruthenium(III) compound (KP418) with hampered transmembrane transport in electrochemotherapy in vitro and in vivo. J. Membrane Biol., 2014, 247, 1239-1251, link
- J. Kljun, A. J. Scott, T. Lanišnik-Rižner, J. Keiser, I. Turel. Synthesis and biological evaluation of organoruthenium complexes with azole antifungal agents. First crystal structure of a tioconazole metal complex. Organometallics, 2014, 33, 1594-1601, link
- J. Kljun, I. Bratsos, E. Alessio, G. Psomas, U. Repnik, M. Butinar, B. Turk, I. Turel. New uses for old drugs : attempts to convert quinolone antibacterials into potential anticancer agents containing ruthenium. Inorg. Chem., 2013, 52, 9039-9052, link
- S. Seršen, J. Kljun, F. Požgan, B. Štefane, I. Turel, Novel organoruthenium(II) ß-diketonates as catalysts for ortho arylation via C-H activation. Organometallics, 2013, 32, 609-616, link
- R. Hudej, J. Kljun, W. Kandioller, U. Repnik, B. Turek, C. G. Hartinger, B. K. Keppler, D. Miklavčič, I. Turel. Synthesis and biological evaluation of the thionated antibacterial agent nalidixic acid and its organoruthenium(II) complex. Organometallics, 2012, 31, 5867-5874, link
- J. Kljun, A. K. Bytzek, W. Kandioller, C. Bartel, M. Jakupec, C. G. Hartinger, B. K. Keppler, I. Turel. Physicochemical studies and anticancer potency of ruthenium η6-p-cymene complexes containing antibacterial quinolones.Organometallics, 2011, 30, 2506-2512, link
- I. Turel, J. Kljun.Interactions of metal ions with DNA, its constituents and derivatives, which may be relevant for anticancer research. Curr. Top. Med. Chem., 2011, 11, 2661-2687, link
- I. Turel, J. Kljun, F. Perdih, E. Morozova, V. Bakulev, N. Kasyanenko, J. A. W. Byl, N. Osheroff.First ruthenium organometallic complex of antibacterial agent ofloxacin. Crystal structure and interactions with DNA. Inorg. Chem., 2010, 49, 10750-10752, link
3 most cited publications:
- I. Turel, The interactions of metal ions with quinolone antibacterial agents, Coord. Chem. Rev., 2002, 232, 27-47 (310 citations), link
- D. Rehder, J. C. Pessoa, C. F. G. C. Geraldes, M. M. C. A. Castro, T. Kabanos, T. Kiss, B. Meier, G. Micera, L. Pettersson, M. Rangel, A. Salifoglou, I. Turel, D. R. Wand, In vitro study of the insulin-mimetic behavior of vanadium(IV,V) coordination compounds, J. Biol. Inorg. Chem., 2002, 7, 384-396 (208 citations), link
- F. Dimiza, F. Perdih, V. Tangoulis, I. Turel, D. P. Kessisoglou, G. Psomas, Interaction of copper(II) with the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs napoxen and diclofenac: Synthesis, structure, DNA- and albumin binding, J. Inorg. Biochem., 2011, 105, 476-489 (94 citations), link
Bibliographic data (as of 4th December 2016):
Scientific articles (including reviews): more than 110 (101 indexed in Web of Science)
Citations: 3096 (2643 without self-citations)
Summary of education:
BSc Chemistry (1989)
MSc Chemistry (1991)
PhD Chemistry (1995)
all titles at the Faculty of Chemistry and Chemical Technology, University of Ljubljana (FKKT, UL)
1989-1997, Assistant at the Chair of Inorganic Chemistry (FKKT, UL)
1997-2003, Assistant Professor at the Chair of Inorganic Chemistry
2003-2008, Associate Professor at the Chair of Inorganic Chemistry
2008-ongoing, Full Professor at the Chair of Inorganic Chemistry
2009-ongoing, Head of Chair of Inorganic Chemistry
Research projects and programmes:
1996-2001, “Study of novel quinolone-metal complexes”, project funded by Slovenian ministry of Science and Technology. Principal investigator.
1997-1999, “Organometallic compounds of the group 4 elements (Ti, Zr, Hf) with fluorides and quinolones”, project funded by Slovenian research agency. Member.
1999-ongoing, “Synthesis, structure and properties of matter and materials” programme grant funded by Slovenian research agency. Member.
2008-2011, “Synthesis of novel ruthenium compounds and their potential use in electrochemotherapy of tumors“, project funded by Slovenian research agency. Principal investigator.
2009-2013, “NMR Center of excellency for research in biotechnology, pharmacy and physics (CO EN-FIST)“. Founding member.
2011-2014, “Synthesis, characterisation and use of novel ruthenium compounds in electrochemotherapy of tumors“, project funded by Slovenian research agency. Principal investigator.
2014-2016, “New targets for old drugs. Organoruthenium derivatives of hydroxyquinolines and beta-carbolines as potential anticancer drugs“. Postdoctoral project of dr. Jakob Kljun. Host researcher.
Biological inorganic chemistry, coordination and organometallic chemistry, medicinal chemistry, development of anticancer compounds, catalysis
Member of editorial boards:
Metal Based Drugs (1999-2002, 2006-2011)
Frontiers in Chemistry (2013-)
Journal of Coordination Chemistry (2015-)
2004-ongoing, Coordinator for international cooperation and Coordinator for Lifelong Learning (Socrates-Erasmus) Programme at FKKT UL
2005-ongoing, Slovenian delegate in the division of “Chemistry in Life Sciences” in European Association for Chemical and Molecular Sciences EuCheMS
2006-2010, Member of discussion group (Natural Sciences, Chemistry) at Slovenian Research Agency
2010-ongoing, COST Domain Expert (Chemistry and Molecular Sciences and Technologies)
2011-ongoing, Member of the senate of FKKT UL
2011, Member of the national committee of International year of chemistry
2012-ongoing, Slovenian representative Inorganic Division of EuCheMS
2013-ongoing, President of the committee for international cooperation at University of Ljubljana
2014-ongoing, Member of the committee for international cooperation and language at Rectors’ Conference of Republic Slovenia